Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Baby Savannah Grace

At 16weeks pregnant I went to my prenatal appointment with my son, best friend, and sister to see what the sex of my third child was. From the beginning of the ultrasound my friend and I could tell something was wrong. The emotions quickly changed when I was told "It's a GIRL" I was so happy but then happiness turned into a nightmare when I learned my baby girl has a birth defect called Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH).

CDH is a life threatening birth defect that gives a baby a 50-65% survival rate. In addition to fighting for their life, these babies need special care after delivery, support breathing, NICU, and in severe cases such as Savannah Grace will need ECMO.

Luckily, I found a great team to help with Savannah once she is born, the Shand's Hospital in Gainsville at the University of Florida. I may be there for months after her delivery. It's scary to temporally relocate from my family for such a long time but as long as baby Savannah is willing to fight so am I.

1 comment:

  1. So todays appointment with the pedatric heart doctor was a little rough. The heart looks pushed to the right even more and bigger then normal. It's a possible that the amount of pressure could cause problems with blood flow.

    I have another appointment next week so until then all I can do is pray.

    ReplyDelete